Wednesday, December 5, 2012

An aside









Cardigan: Target | Dress: Anthropologie | Heels: Urban Outfitters

This is what my hair looks like when I wake up in the morning. In case you were uncertain. AND YES THIS DRESS HAS PONIES ON IT ISN'T IT AMAZING?!

I received a lot of comments about my tattoo on my last post, so I thought I'd share the whole thing. It is an Alexander Calder mobile, which currently hangs from the ceiling of the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art. There is a very personal story behind it that I haven't shared with anyone, but it involves perseverance of the strongest type. For the most part, people just think I really like art, and that's definitely not untrue!

I got this tattoo the weekend after Halloween because I had a really rough week at work, and the only thing I could think of that would truly distract me from the stress was physical pain. Since I'm not SUPER willing to sling myself down the steps, I got a tattoo instead. And it worked--for 45 minutes all I felt was searing pain (the blue one hurt the most since it's right on the ball of my shoulder), and it was wonderful. I went alone of a Sunday afternoon, and my mom has seen it once while my dad has seen half of it. They're both aloof about it--they don't like tattoos--but due to the personal nature of this one, I wanted it somewhere that would be easily hidden in case I didn't want prying questions, and it's perfect; the only time you can see it is if I wear something sleeveless, which is rare. And I've found thus far that people are less likely to ask about a tattoo if they can't see the whole thing.

Coworker R. and I recently had a discussion about tattoos, and he's a firm believer that the reason we get tattoos is for them to be seen. Why would I get a tattoo where I wouldn't show it off? I countered by saying that it's seen, just not by him or anyone else. It's pretty rare to get a tattoo specifically for oneself and not want to show it off, and Randy at Empire Tattoo in Asheville did a brilliant job; it's absolutely beautiful, and everyone I know who has seen it (R. has not) agrees. But it's a reminder for me, every morning when I look in the mirror to wash my face, to always persevere. To never stop fighting, to never give up. And I don't need anyone else to see it to be sure of that.

Bonus! Here's a picture of me dancing to Ke$ha in my head. Yeah, her album's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment