Monday, October 1, 2012

SIA: PSA

I'm hosting SIA this week! Yesssss. Here's my pick:



Watson and the Shark, John Singleton Copley, 1778
Oil on canvas

The original version of this painting is housed at the National Gallery of Art, and it is massive. (I have a thing for big paintings.) I was both thrilled and overwhelmed this first time I saw this painting, and I spend a good amount of time looking at it every time I'm at the NGA. There's something so visually appealing about the contrast between light and dark, the highlighting, the romanticization of the incident. It's lovely. Well, aside from the shark's eye. It's like a bad rendering of Jaws.

Send me your submissions (and accompanying links, if you've posted about SIA!) by the night (EST) of October 8th. I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Also, you know. For kicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment