Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nameless







Necklace: heirloom | Top: J.Crew Outlet | Skirt: JCPenney | Heels: Urban Outfitters

Do you name your cars? We (me and my parents) do. At least most of them. My first car, which my dad still drives, is a white Oldsmobile named Molly. My grandfather gave her to me. My current car is named Pontius Prius, because I wanted to keep the Latin thread going from Prius to his first name.

The car between the two, however, didn't have a name. The Volvo, as it was simply called, was truly the best car I've ever had. I loved that car literally to death--we made it to 200,003 miles, but the point between trading my parents Molly for the Volvo and the day I said farewell were so amazing. We went everywhere--New Jersey, New Orleans, Savannah, all once, & Asheville, Charlotte, Columbia, and Virginia countless times. I clocked so many hours in that car, and it never failed until the transmission did.

Today I drive Pontius 12 miles each way to work, and I fill my tank once a week, and it costs $25. But the traction isn't the best. The pickup isn't perfect. There's nowhere to hide my purse. And at the end of the day, despite how much I enjoy driving Pontius, I always remember that sometimes the best horse truly is the one with no name.

No comments:

Post a Comment