Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On bookshelves



Scarf: Target
Top: Target
Dress as skirt: Anthropologie
Tights: Target
Wedges: Shoe Carnival



In relatively unexciting (but exciting to some of you) news, my bookshelf is fully assembled and mostly filled! I warned most of you that I actually don't own many books; I'm a library user through and through, and most of the books I do own are either Latin & Italian history books from college or books that are special to me--favourites, signed copies, etc. Beyond that, most of my Latin books are actually boxed up right now, and I'm trying to decide if I want to haul them out and put them in my bookshelf which I will eventually have to move or if I want to use the shelf space for other things. The latter will likely avail.



If you take a good look at this grainy iPhone picture of the new bookshelf, you'll see that I have an assorted variety of complete crap. I have made a few changes since this picture was taken--moving a few things around, collecting more things. Although I try to live an uncluttered life, I am a thing collector. I don't have a difficult time throwing things away, but my mind has to be pretty far removed from the object, or I have to be fed up with it as a piece of clutter, to toss it. I also am guilty of liking pretty things, and unique things, and things that are fun to look at.



So my bookshelf is really more a receptacle for some of these random objects I've amassed over the years. My fiberglass xylophone mallets from high school. A framed picture of my dad at his college graduation. A signed copy of Jimmy Fallon's Thank You Notes. The stuffed bunny my grandfather game me as a baby. (The stuffed frog he gave me still lives on my headboard.) The roller skates I practically lived in during middle school (and which still fit, so I need to get back into that!). Crayons, nail polish, pens, lotion, the roses that were in one of the arrangements at my grandfather's funeral. My college class ring box. A birthday card my friend E. sent me a couple years ago that I just can't throw away. I have a lot of random objects, and they aren't necessarily books, but to me they're just as enjoyable to look at.

Though that I Voted sticker from two years ago? Yeah, that's gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment