Monday, March 14, 2011

Of public record



Necklace: gift from parents
Cami: Old Navy
Dress: Target
Belt: Target
Tights: We Love Colors
Semiflats: Payless



I had just climbed into the car yesterday when my phone began blasting Kelly Clarkson, which can only mean one thing--my best friend from college, E., was calling me. You may remember E. from this post from the very early days of Animated Cardigan. We haven't talked since seeing each other in Virginia in February, and she wanted to call to tell me two things. One was that she loved a painting I made (she's a big art fan so sometimes I show her what I paint). The other was that she spent one night fooling around on the internet and had read all my 30 for 30 posts and everything since then, and she loved it.



Thus begins the post in every blogger's life where one wonders how to reconcile blogging with real life. I was thrilled to hear that E. had read my blog and loved it because it's a real boost to my confidence--though E. might be one of my biggest cheerleaders anyway!--and it's exciting when my friends say they're belting their cardigans and liking it because of me. And you know by now that some of my coworkers read and discuss this blog, & my parents know about it.

However, I do wonder exactly where one draws the line--I would never tell my patrons about my blog, or the head of the library system where I work, and I'm quite careful, as many other bloggers are, about mentioning where I live and work. I'd probably never admit to most of my family that I'm a style blogger (how would one even begin to explain fashion blogging to one's grandmother?), but I'm willing to show my blog to my friends. Striking the balance is much like a scale of justice, but I believe if others--the ladies of Acadmichic, Monkeyface and Tania--can toe the line, so can I.

P.S. I got soooooooo many compliments on my tights today! I thought gold would be a bad idea but news flash: mustard goes with everything.

11 comments:

  1. Such a great outfit! Mustard does go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brooke! The colour is pretty much perfect on those tights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mustard does go with everything. True story. As for drawing the line, I've completely lost mine. I almost never talk about blogging when out and about, but all my friends know I do it. It's like a drug habit I have that everyone knows about but pretends isnt happening. That's the way i like it. Good luck figuring out where your line is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Robyn. I think it's just going to be a matter of feeling things out over time. I don't have a problem with people knowing about my blog, it just seems odd to have real life intersect with e-life. Kind of like meeting friends from the internet--it's really cool but at the same time a little strange, like there's an additional facet to life they don't show off but you know about anyway. It's a learning process.

    & I definitely need more mustard in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tights. I can really relate. The first time someone else mentioned my blog to me, I got so embarrassed. I kind of freaked, and froze up. Now I'm more proud of it, thank goodness. I put a lot of time, and effort into it. I should be able to take ownership of it, and not feel embarrassed. I don't talk about where I live exactly, or my work on my blog. I don't tell my friends, or family about it. I'm trying to find the balance of where my blog fits into my real life.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Vanessa!

    I feel the same way sometimes. Especially in the early days of this blog, when the pictures were REALLY lame (as opposed to the mildly cheesy they are now!), I was so embarrassed when someone read it. My coworker was one of the first people to read it and I didn't want her to, and then she said "what's the point of having a blog if you don't want anyone to read it?" & especially with style blogs that seems to be the case. I do think, though, that I have a lot more pride in my blog as it's evolved, even just over five months. It's definitely a growing process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. one more compliment on the mustard tights!! i love how they add a punch of color to the outfit!

    cute & little
    come join the Color Brigade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kileen! I'm really becoming enamoured with those tights :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried on that dress! But it looks way better on you. Great outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, why are you making me wish even harder for some more mustard in my life? I want a pair of tights AND cardi but now that spring's on its way maybe I'll try a skirt or something...

    SO yeah, about the blog/real life thing. Well actually I don't have anything to say about it that can appropriately fit in comment space, lol. We're all figuring it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin thanks! I really love this dress because I had to size down in it ;)

    Monks, you need to get yourself something mustard. I also have a mustard dress and top (oh and yellow PANTS) so I'll have to highlight that stuff to force you into it. & I'm sure you'd have enough to say about blog life vs. real life to speak at a conference, given the right venue. The monkey-face-drawing venue.

    ReplyDelete